Today it’s time to (re)share the LOVE BURGER recipe!! 🙂 and I’ve got two reasons for retrieving this favorite from the Semper Sarah archives:
1. Two weeks ago, my husband, Pete, and I took a trip to Ohio. We lived in this charming Midwest state a couple of years ago, and were thrilled to return recently in order to compete in Australian Rules Football Nationals with our team, the Denver Bulldogs. The Lady Bulldogs won our fifth straight National title (hooray!!!). I’m so fortunate to play with a team full of amazing athletes and women, but I gotta admit, one of the other highlights of our trip was getting to visit one of our favorite Columbus restaurants with our local friends, Dan and Cindy. This restaurant serves a veggie burger that Pete and I loved so much so that Pete creatively adapted the recipe for it so we could recreate it at home.
2. The weather has been great here in Denver, and outdoor get-togethers are still happening. So, in that vein, if have gotten an invite to “bring a dish to pass” to an upcoming get-together or backyard BBQ and all you can think of is a cheesy, high-calorie dish, have no fear, the alternative is here! Turns out, there is still a way to keep things healthy while bringing a delicious dish, too. I am sharing this recipe with Aloha, a new company that says hello to health and happiness. Aloha offers a number of whole-powder products – basically, superfoods in a pouch! You can add these into almost any recipe you can think of for an added kick of healthy and organic goodness. Maybe try throwing some green powder into a guacamole burger topping. Check out more of their healthy recipes at the Aloha site and be sure to look out for my recipe being featured on their social sites! Because I teach my clients that a plant-based lifestyle is the healthiest way to live, this social media partnership with Aloha was a great way to share a nutrient-dense, power-food, delicious treat with others.
So…..drum roll….here it is, the amazing, tantalizing, tasty, healthy, filled-with-love recipe for…
The 10 Step Love Burger (the best veggie burger you’ll ever eat!)
1/2 cup brown rice
1 onion, diced small
1 can of diced beets
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 can of Cuban black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons parsley, minced
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon thyme
4 tablespoons spelt flour
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground mustard
sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook rice according to directions
2. Heat a skillet with water and a little bit of coconut oil (olive oil works, too). Add diced onion and minced garlic and cook until translucent and softened. When almost done cooking those, add the vinegar and cook until most of it has dissolved.
3. While onion cooks, drain the beets and dice them up nice and small. Then add them to the onion and garlic, cover, and cook until the beets are soft.
4. Drain the beans and mash them up. Don’t food process them – they still need to be a bit chunky.
5. Mix cooked onions, beets, and rice with the bowl of mashed beans.
6. Season with salt, pepper, thyme, parsley, garlic powder, chili powder, and ground mustard.
7. Add the spelt flour to mushy pile and mix until fully absorbed.
8. Heat a cast iron skillet (or equivalent) until it is hot. Heat a little more coconut oil in the pan.
9. Shape the “burger” patties and place onto the hot pan. Let it cook for a couple minutes on each side until it gets a nice crust, then flip to other side.
10. Viola! Burgers done! You can serve on sprouted bread buns with spicy mustard, onion, tomato, lettuce, and fresh avocado.
#11. BONUS – this isn’t just a veggie burger, it’s VEGAN, too! 🙂
I call it the love burger because it is a super heart healthy alternative to a classic beef hamburger, its bright red color (thank you beets!), and the fact that the love is what keeps this sometimes-finicky burger together 🙂 This is my favorite meal that my husband cooks for me and it’s his recipe he’s adapted and perfected over time. It does take some time and effort, so when I ask for the “love burger” and he obliges, I know it’s because he cares so much for me. 🙂 <3
Forward to a Friend
It’s such a pleasure to help those closest to us become happier and healthier. Please forward this recipe to friends, family members or colleagues who might be interested and inspired by it.
Get Even Healthier!
Want to learn how to make positive choices in your own life? Want support in creating your healthiest, happiest life ever? Let’s talk! Schedule a complimentary health coaching consultation with me today – or pass this offer on to someone you care about!
Or, join me on the next Semper Sarah Retreat which is 20-26 June 2015 in Nosara Costa Rica. Get full details for this women-only retreat at www.SemperSarah.com/Retreat
I am an Optimal Wellness and Resiliency Building expert. What does that mean? Well, I received my training from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, the only school in the world that integrates over 100 of the latest nutrition theories with coaching and business skills. I also was a United States Marine for nearly seven years, a Military Olympic Athlete, registered yoga instructor, and survivor of many things. I am currently pursuing my Masters of Science in Social Work at the University of Denver. I have a passion to help you shift your behaviors to develop lifelong, sustainable healthy habits and a deep understanding of your mental, physical, and spiritual needs. We’ll work together to create lasting changes to your health, energy, and well-being because “small changes make big differences!”